Marc SCIAMANNA graduated in Electrical Engineering (2000) and PhD in Applied Sciences (2004) from Faculté Polytechnique de Mons (Belgium), as a researcher from the Fonds National pour la Recherche Scientifique (FNRS, Belgium). The title of his PhD dissertation is « Nonlinear dynamics and polarization properties of externally driven semiconductor lasers ». Since April 19, 2004, Marc SCIAMANNA is Professor at SUPELEC (France) where he continues his activities on laser nonlinear dynamics and nonlinear optics, in the frame of the CNRS laboratory LMOPS (Laboratoire Matériaux Optiques, Photonique et Système), UMR 7132. In 2009 Marc SCIAMANNA obtained his « Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches (H.D.R.) » from Université Paul Verlaine-Metz. Since 2009 he is also Adjunct Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology (U.S.A.).
Marc SCIAMANNA is author of 40 publications in international peer-reviewed journals and 52 publications in conferences including 14 invited talks (H-index=12). He has been awarded by international photonics societies: IEEE-LEOS (now IEEE Photonics Society) in 2002 with a Graduate Student Fellowship Award, SPIE (International Society for Optical Engineering) in 2003 with the F-MADE Scholarship Award, OSA (Optical Society of America) in 2002 with a OSA Newfocus Student Travel Grant. In 2007 he received the prestigious TR35 Young Innovator Award from MIT Technology Review (U.S.A.) which awards each year 35 researchers being less than 35 years old for their work in all scientific fields. Marc SCIAMANNA is also chair and committee member of several international conferences including SPIE Photonics Europe, EOS Annual Meeting, IEEE/LEOS Winter Topicals, PHASE/IPSSO international workshops and A Future in Light international conference. He serves also as a guest editor for the international journal Optical and Quantum Electronics, edited by Springer.
Curriculum Vitae (English) including a list of publications
I am currently looking for a PhD Student on the topic « nonlinear dynamics in photorefractive laser cavities », for three years starting from October 2009. CV + letter of motivation to be sent to me by email.
- 26-29 October 2010 : member of the program committee of "TOM 6: nonlinear optics and photonics" in the frame of the international conference EOS Annual Meeting 2009 (Paris, France)
- 12-16 April 2010 : co-chairs the international conference "Semiconductor Lasers & Laser Dynamics" with Krassimir Panajotov, Rainer Michalzik, and Angel Valle, in the frame of SPIE Photonics Europe 2010 (Bruxelles, Belgium)
- 10-12 December 2009 : invited talk at ICTON Mediterranean Winter (ICTON-MW'09), Angers, France: "Semiconductor laser nonlinear dynamics: complexity made useful"
- Nonlinear dynamics of semiconductor lasers
- All-optical generation of fast electrical signals
- All-optical switching
- Optical chaos and application to cryptography
- Synchronization of coupled lasers and application to secure communication
- Spatial and temporal instabilities and solitons in nonlinear optical cavities
- Head of the Master Program on Photonic Systems and Communication (SPC), SUPELEC third year of engineering degree. Program : http://www.supelec.fr/fi/Progra/spc/Welcome.html. This Master Program is opened to external students in the frame of student exchanges and so-called specialization diploma from SUPELEC – please contact me !
- Lectures: Photonic Components (L 13.5h), Nonlinear Optics (L 24h)
- Exercices: Electromagnetism : field and propagation (Ex 6h), Solid State Physics (Ex 6h), Numerical Methods and Optimization (Ex 6h), Semiconductor Components (Ex 6h)
- Laboratories: Data Networks (16h), Projets on Photonics (50h)